Monday, August 18, 2008

Winding down


Last day of work was on Friday, said goodbye to all the kids. It was a sad parting, of course, as these things tend to be, but a happy one, too. Mimi was especially sad, having been very close to me all year, and kept saying, "Today is a terrible day. I hate today!" I took her aside and told her that she'll always find days that are both happy and sad, and that it's okay to be sad, as long as you remember to be happy, too.


Saturday I went out to Danshui with Lizzy, Dianna, Hannah, and Alva, latter day friends of mine who I wish I'd met sooner. I guess that's how it will always be when I sign up to live somewhere temporarily. Saturday night was partying at Roxy and in my recently emptied apartment. We drank from milk bottles and wine glasses, lacking all other vessels. Sunday was a lot of reading, and a lot of sleeping in. And today I did my taxes, and shopped for camera lenses.

Things are winding down, but I've saved one more adventure for the time I have left: Monday morning I'll catch a train to Taidong, and from there a ferry (or perhaps a hovercraft) out to Lanyu, called Orchid Island. A few days on a tiny, quiet, tropical island sounds like a good thing right about now. One last bit of peace before I gotta figure out the next few years.

No comments: