Saturday, August 25, 2007

Impacts leave impressions

Last night I was scared of this place, 'cause it was big and different. After a day of walking around with Martin, Katherine, and Dora, it feels less foreign, more accessible. My Chinese has atrophied quite a bit, but I find I understand more than I expected to, and my halting speech has the feel of a skill that will improve quickly with practice.

I'm still a bit scared of teaching kids (What the hell am I doing? I don't know the first thing about teaching a classroom full of kids?!), but I'm looking forward to it too, somewhat perversely. I have the feeling it will be the sort of situation in which I am used to panicking and relinquishing control (like when I tried to lead a tour of 24 people earlier this summer), only I won't have the option this time. If it's hard, I can't let someone else take over for me, I have to stick to it until I get it right.

I relish the opportunity to develop that kind of strength.

No comments: