Sunday, November 4, 2007

Travel is as travel does

I do like Taipei. It's a beautiful city full of largely nice and helpful people. The weather is decent (it's 70 degrees outside, and that feels chilly now) and there's theoretically lots to do. It's just kinda lonely, compared to Portland. Most of my friends are still in the Pacific Northwest, and it really is tempting to move there next. Maybe I'll see if there are any research jobs in the area that I could apply to for next academic year. Grad school applications are still a ways off.

Life continues on pretty much as usual here. Weekdays are consumed by work, and weeknights are spent watching a movie or a downloaded TV show on the couch, and maybe writing a letter or two. Weekend days I try to get out, though I've been sick enough or migraine-ridden enough lately that getting out in a big way hasn't really happened. Still, I will be heading back over to Taroko in a couple of weeks when my dad is in town, and I'm excited about that. And Ali has mentioned that she'd like to do some more exploring when her mother heads back to Britain. I may try to convince Martin and Katherine to come check out the North Coast area with me next weekend.

I'm not really saving money, and I'm not really getting much of an opportunity to explore and "see the world". I may have to re-evaluate whether this is the way I want to spend my year off. Advice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard. Traveling is hard and you have to fight through logistics and be brave in order to see the world. You have to leave when no one will go with you, and when you don't feel like it, and it takes running. Lots of running. But you can run if you want to run. I mean. You're brave. So can see it if you make yourself. The world is big. And you can see anything you want to see in it.