Monday, December 3, 2007

Oot and aboot

I made it out of Taipei on Saturday, finally. I didn't get as far afield as I might have liked, but I did make it all the way to the coast, and got to dip my feet in the seawater, which is always appreciated.

I wound up taking a train from Taipei to Keelung, a 40 minute trip that cost a little over one US dollar each way. I walked around a bit through Keelung, checking out a big temple complex that's only open during the Ghost Month, and another, smaller temple complex that boasted a 22 meter high Buddha (according to the signs, though I suspect it was closer to 22 feet). Lots of pretty statues and the whatnot, and a bizarre, carnival-like atmosphere, complete with games and go-karts.

I wandered down from the hill that the Buddha stood atop and took a bus across a small bridge to Heping Island, just off the coast from the entrance to Keelung's harbor complex. The north side of Keelung Island faces the open Pacific, and wind, rain, and seawater have carved the sedimentary rocks there into strange and funky-looking shapes. I dipped my feet in freshly-filled tide pools, and got my share of spray from some of the bigger waves. It was lovely.

Sunday featured Indian lunch, Thai dinner, and a wonderfully sunny afternoon in the park in between. Then there was Scotch, a puzzle, and cartoons in the evening.

All in all, a very successful weekend. Pictures are up on flickr!

No comments: